- What kind of journalist do you want to be?
- What do you want to get out of this course?
Thursday, January 14, 2010
What do you want?
Dear all: We discussed this post in class, but I wanted to reiterate it, as well as invite the members of A1 to join the discussion. Please briefly answer the following questions by posting a comment:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm looking to be a long-form journalist, as you'd see in The New Yorker. I'm not sure what I'd like to report on, but travel journalism and foreign correspondence have always interested me.
ReplyDeleteI want to learn how to mix different media to better organize a long story. For instance: which media are better suited to describing history, and when, and which media are better suited to describing recent events, and when? When they're combined, how should they be combined?
Ideally, working as a film reviewer would be an area of journalism I'd love to explore. I've always been a movie buff, and the industry itself interests me as well. I'm also interested in narrative journalism. The topic doesn't really matter too much to me: politics, crime, anything really. For example, this disaster in Haiti could be made into an excellent new journalism story, and I'm sure it will be. To me, narrative non-fiction is one possible future of journalism and something I'd really enjoy doing as well.
ReplyDeleteAs for the class, I'm especially interested in learning more about audio and video platforms. I've had some experience with liveblogging and Twitter, but I still need the skills to create and edit video and audio into slide shows or interactive media.
I am aspiring to be go beyond local news and focus more internationally. Working as an on-camera reporter and anchor has always been my goal and now I want to explore how I can translate that work into online and multimedia journalism. I'd love to work as a foreign correspondent or in business/economic news.
ReplyDeleteBy the end of this class I'd like to have solid experience in the audio and video platforms and which work best for different stories. I am better with video, so I'd like to learn more about audio slideshows and I'd love to have experience building a website to post all the multimedia work.
I'm focusing at this point on being a sports broadcaster but I'd be happy covering sports through any medium. At this point I do a fair amount of broadcasting and writing but very little work with video and photography. I know that I'm going to need to know how to use everything if I'm going to be successful in finding a job in the future.
ReplyDeleteThrough this class I want to learn about all of the different mediums available to us and become more proficient. I would definitely describe myself as not tech savvy and would love to feel comfortable in working with new media.
My career goal is to the play by play broadcaster for a professional sports team. I have been working towards this since I was 13 years old. I also love writing and if you are involved in sports you have to be able to do everything.
ReplyDeleteI am hoping this class will help me understand the function of multimedia usage as well as other ways I can use it. I love the idea of using all different platforms and this class will help me use them better.
My plan at this point is to report hard news for a newspaper (or websites), but the goal eventually is to go back to my home country, China, and work for foreign news outlets in China (as opposed to a state-run news organization).
ReplyDeleteMy previous training in journalism has only involved writing, so I hope this class can teach me how to produce a story through videos, audio and photos slides.
I'd like to become a business/economics journalist. Double majoring in economics, this type of journalism would make the most sense. However, I do enjoy sports journalism as well.
ReplyDeleteMy goal for this course is to leave with an advanced handling of multiple media platforms. The ability to report with versatility is key.
My focus is on Photojournalism. I would love to work for National Geographic. I'm also very interested in Art History and fine art photography. My goal is to hopefully own my own gallery someday.
ReplyDeleteMy goal for this course is to understand and utilize all the different media platforms to hopefully incorporate my love for photography in an inventive and creative way.
My goal is to get into sports journalism, preferably as a television reporter/anchor. Football is my specialty but I enjoy almost all other sports as well.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that this class will help me become more well rounded as a journalist. With the increasing number of journalism platforms, especially the growth of online news websites, it is important to know everything from writing to audio, video, slideshows and beyond.
I hope to one day focus my career around music journalism. I enjoy interviewing bands and reviewing newly released music, especially in regards to rock and punk. My ultimate goal would be to work for a magazine focused on such journalism, such as Rolling Stone or Spin Magazine. I’m also very interested in writing human interest pieces.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to this class, I hope to learn more about multimedia journalism beyond just the aspects of writing and reporting. I’m excited to learn more about video and audio and how to incorporate such technology into my everyday reporting.
My focus is Magazine Writing in the Print program, because I'm most drawn to the longer-form, exploratory/investigative human interest pieces. I think everyone has amazingly compelling anecdotes and details to lend to a story, and I'm proudest when I can access those tidbits in my research or over several interviews and give already-newsworthy stories that human element that will really set the piece apart.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping to learn how to incorporate multimedia in my reporting. I have no real photography/audio/video experience to speak of (besides the very basic amateur Facebook uploads), and in order to make myself more marketable as a reporter, I'd like to have more in my portfolio than just articles.
I'd like to be an entertainment writer. Right now I focus mainly on Music, but I want to expand beyond that and into other types of writing as well.
ReplyDeleteFrom this class I want to gain a better understanding of how to use video, specifically, to enhance online content, and how to incorporate multimedia into stories.
I'd like to work in the field of sports journalism, whether it is broadcast, print, or online. I'm pretty flexible with the medium considering of the state of journalism in our current economy.
ReplyDeleteWith that being said, I'd like to have a good grasp on working with the new mediums available. I'm interested in learning how to use new methods of online journalism, especially different features on websites like mediastorm.org. I currently have a blog and have liveblogged before and love both, so I'd like to learn new ways to improve my blog using videos and photography. I also hope to learn more about how to upload videos online and edit them in a quicker fashion. Overall, I'm excited to gain as much knowledge as possible in the multimedia aspect of journalism with the help of this course.
I'd like to cover sports, whether that means working as a broadcaster, print journalist, some combination of the two or some medium that isn't even around yet. Sports tends to be among the first areas to embrace new mediums and technologies, which I think makes an understanding of multimedia that much more important.
ReplyDeleteFrom this class, I'd like to not only learn about all the different mediums to tell a story in today's multimedia world, but which mediums are best suited to particular types of stories and how to best utilize different mediums to convey information.
Broadly speaking, I am interested in human interest stories, foreign reporting and column writing.
ReplyDeleteSo far I have only taken print journalism classes in my program. Having no prior experience or knowledge of how to use multimedia to tell stories, I am hoping this class will teach me how to work with multimedia. This is my last semester at BU and I am hoping to expand my skills beyond print before I graduate and begin job hunting.
I am interested in sports journalism. I think the sports outlets such as ESPN have made some of the smoothest transitions to "new media."
ReplyDeleteAs for the class, I want a general understanding of all types of media. As a graduating senior, I want to sell myself as a jack-of-all-trades to potential employers.
Ideally, I'd like to do something with photography and writing in the field of social justice. I'm not sure what that is yet, though. So-- I'm trying to keep an open mind (I'm a photojournalism graduate student with one semester left).
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping this course will help me to cater my journalism work to many different platforms. I hope that this knowledge will make me a more well-rounded journalist from a technical perspective. I'd like to feel confident about producing alternative versions of one story for different purposes or audiences. I think that's an incredibly important skill to have-- especially now, when new forms of media are springing up every day... or so it seems!
My focus is on Magazine Journalism. I would like to write features and reviews on art, fashion, beauty, and travel for a Conde Nast publication.
ReplyDeleteI am pretty technologically inept, so I would like to master new media technologies to have as a basic skill set for wherever I end up working.
Hola!
ReplyDelete1. I'm planning to specialize in music writing/reviews/news, but I want to be knowledgeable and capable of writing a wider range of articles. I like profiling people and digging up investigative stories, too.
2. I'd like to leave the course with some solid work that I can present to a prospective employer, as well as a better understanding of the programs we will be using to create our news pieces.
Thank you!
Hello there!
ReplyDeleteAs a journalist my focus has been in broadcast. Ideally, I want to go into foreign or political reporting. Realistically, I just want to be an employed journalist after graduation.
Hopefully, this course will help me with my realistic goal. I have some experience in multimedia and the web, but I still think I could learn more before entering the job market in May.
1. I am currently studying broadcast journalism, international relations and history. I am hoping to weave all of that together to become an international reporter. I am interested in doing more feature and human-interest writing than hard-news reporting.
ReplyDelete2. I have no experience with multimedia journalism, and I think learning about the different programs and resources would help me find a niche within international reporting.