Friday, January 15, 2010

NYTimes coverage of devastation in Haiti

Dear all: Please have a look at the several interactive features from The New York Times located on the linked pages, and answer the following questions (please number your responses):
  1. Which feature is the most informative?
  2. Which feature makes the best use of multimedia?
  3. What are some of the strengths of the feature that is your answer to question 2?
  4. What are some of the weaknesses of the feature that is your answer to question 2?
Please answer as a comment to this post. Many thanks.

20 comments:

  1. 1. I really enjoy the photos from all the different parts of the country. I think that it gives people a chance to see how widespread the destruction was.

    2. I think the entire map is a great use of multimedia. The fact that they linked both audio and photos to specific parts of the map is amazing. Those who have family and friends in the country can look at the map and see the destruction and also get updates via the reporters audio.

    3. The strengths are that the images pop right up and give you a preview image before you view it. The expanded detailed area also brings viewers right into that specific area.

    4. I wish there was a video report on there somewhere. The photos and audio is great but it would be awesome to be able to combine them into a video package. I think this would give people a much greater idea of the actual destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I really enjoyed "A Closer Look at the Destruction in Haiti". The photos are clearer than the satellite images in the other feature (The Destruction in Port-Au-Prince) and extremely powerful.

    2. The map (After the Haiti Quake) makes great use of multimedia.It combines a map and photos and really highlights the destruction in Port-Au-Prince.

    3. The feature photos on the map can effectively inform viewers the damage in different areas in Haiti.

    4. I wish the map could add more stats and show the degree of damage in different areas (maybe in different colors). I also think it would be nice to highlight the population and population density in these areas because the media kept mentioning is that Haiti is one of the most populated countries in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I enjoyed the interactive map with photographs detailing the destruction of historical landmarks.

    2. The interactive map used photography as well as audio to depict the damage in Haiti.

    3. I thought some of the pictures were jaw-dropping. Two things stood out: 1. the picture from the state university hospital where you can literally see human bodies being lifted into a dumpdrunk as if they were debris. 2. the main prison collapsing and reports of escaped prisoners was fascinating. It really illustrates the chaos Haiti is experiencing.

    4. I would have liked to see some video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1."After the Haiti Quake" is the most informative feature, though it probably needs more background information (for instance, what's the Justice Palace, and why was it important?). The pictures were great, but there should have been more audio or video so we could get something more concrete than a collection of pictures.

    2. "The Destruction in Port-au-Prince" makes the best use of multimedia, because seeing the change is as easy as drawing a curtain.

    "After the Haiti Quake" is a polished Google Map, which is nice but unsurprising. "A Closer Look at the Destruction in Haiti" doesn't deliver what it promises and has a pun in the title besides (inappropriate under the circumstances).

    3. The format suggests the speed of the disaster, and with the bigger buildings the extent of the destruction is obvious.

    4. On the other hand, the destruction is clear only with the larger buildings, because the map from 2008 is blurry. Also, the lack of commentary makes the effect largely emotional, and the reader doesn't learn much hard fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I learned more from "The Destruction of Port-au-Prince" before and after feature than the others. Seeing these landmarks before and after is effective in showing just how bad and widespread the destruction is and just how much needs to be done to help rebuild. I also really like the bit of text talking about each location along with the real satellite image.

    2. The "After the Haiti Quake" map is the best use of multimedia mixing a map graphic with photo and audio.

    3. I really like how the map gives viewers a glimpse inside the destruction not just in the main area, but in several landmarks of the country. The audio bites included in the map really give a first-hand glimpse into the situation and allow for a different reaction than a photograph.

    4. While the map offers many facets to view the damage, I think some video of the riots, the rescue squads, the injured and sick, the dead would give viewers and readers an even deeper understanding of the struggle and destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I felt that "A closer look at the destruction in Haiti" was the most informative piece. It had a number of different photos from a variety of locations, and I feel that the phrase "seeing is believing" is really true. It's one thing to hear what has happened but when you see the images of the destruction it resonates more deeply. What also made this article informative was that each photo was accompanied by a caption with factual information.

    2. As for best use of multimedia, I would give that to the After the Haiti Quake interactive map.

    3. The map feature combined visual, audio, and factual information. I thought the photos in this section were also better than some of the other sections because they showed more of the human element by including people's devastation as well as building destruction. And for people like myself who are not so great with geography, it made it very clear to understand exactly where the tragedies occurred.

    4. The map could have been made even stronger by including a video or two and maybe some graphs or statistical charts, perhaps something on population or death/injury tolls, or estimated monetary damages, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. The Destruction in Port-au-Prince piece was the most informative as it blended images with a substantial amount of facts and news. It made it much easier to visualize and grasp what had been reported.

    2. I thought the After Haiti Quake map made the best use of multimedia as it transformed a simple map into a truly interactive tool.

    3. The combination of first-hand accounts (audio), factual information and images showed the devastation of the quake and created more of a human angle. Putting all this information on a map, I thought was quite brilliant as it helps foreigners get a clear geographical idea of the damages.

    4. I think the map would have been even better if it had incorporated videos, and more facts perhaps in the form of graphs or charts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. The photographs are the most striking, particularly those of the hospital and the morgue, because they attempt to show how everyday life has to continue on despite the immense wreckage.

    2. The map itself is a great use of multimedia, because it shows that the devastation was not solely contained in the cities, but affected the entire country

    3. Strengths include the real life location of each set of images or audio, which helps to give the scale of the destruction. It also helps to show how widespread the affected area was.

    4. The map itself is a little vague with regards to the overall picture of the island of Haiti. Were there more affected regions outside of those shown on the map? Different colors or more detailed aspects might be able to get a clearer point across.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I think the most informative feature is probably "A closer look at the destruction in Haiti" because it incorporates an organized slideshow with zoom abilities so that people can really see the state of Haiti with precision.
    2. I would have to say that the best feature is the interactive map because it combines both photos, audio and info checkpoints.
    3. The high quality visual slides show a collection of photographs that highlight the intensity and gravity of the situation in Haiti after the disaster in an effective manner while the audio adds voice and tone.
    4. The weaknesses are that there might be too much going on in that interactive map. Each component plays such a crucial and large role that it might overshadow one another. I felt as if I barely even noticed the map as it blended into the background when I started to focus on other elements of the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. The interactive map that blends photos, audio, text and, of course, the map shows so many different scenes and places them in context around Port-au-Prince.

    2. Again, the map blends the different mediums very well and does so in an easy-to-use and informative manner.

    3. The interactive map provides so much more information and context than could have been achieved through any one medium and allows the viewer to explore on their own. This feature could also be easily updated as more content comes in to provide and even fuller picture of the scene in Haiti. It is also loads seamlessly, which is a crucial aspect of a successful multimedia feature.

    4. The only thing really missing from the map was video. Some video clips would improve the feature even more. The other feature that included satellite photos could have also been merged with this map at the risk of overcomplicating the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I thought the printed articles were the most informative for the sole fact that not only did they give large amounts of information but because they offered the opinions of actual Haitians and what they were thinking.
    2. I thought the feature that made the best use of multimedia was definitely the map. By combining audio, text and pictures it did a great job of providing a comprehensive view of the landscape of Haiti after the earthquake.
    3. The map was extremely easy to use and helped the viewer clearly see where each tidbit was located in Haiti which is useful since many Americans aren't familiar with it. It also was great because it combined different types of medias and was made for all types of viewers. The map would easily inform someone who had very little time or vast amounts of time.
    4. My biggest complaints about the map would be a lack of video and lack of native Haitian opinion/voice. The shorter of the two audio clips was fantastic but I would have loved to have had quotes from someone other than a foreign reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I found "Haiti's Earthquake: A Photo Gallery" the most informative because it provided a visual experience moving across the country, with different perspectives in each image. The captions at the bottom of each intense photo are just enough information to allow the pictures to speak for themselves.

    2. I thought the best multimedia feature was the satellite photos showing the destruction in Port-au-Prince. I felt this was the most interactive because the viewer can move the map and view images from those locations as they please.

    3. The strengths of this interactive map include the ability to zoom in on different locations across the map, as well as see multiple photos from that locations. Also, it gives a better feel for what the destruction was by moving your mouse around the border, as well as a moving more through the interior of the country. Rather than just watching a pre-made visual on the screen, the viewer can choose what images they are interested in seeing most. It also shows the destruction before and after the quake.

    4. Although there are photos that you click depending on what you wish to see, this map does not allow for much more. Video and audio are missing from this feature, but are not exactly appropriate for what the map is trying to provide to the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. The photos are the most informative. It is one thing to hear and read about what happened, but the photos illicit a completely different and more emotional reaction.

    2. The map feature makes the best overall use of multimedia. The map itself gives the viewer a sense of place, while the photos, audio, and information icons let the viewer go on a virtual tour of Haiti. However, the before/after feature of the satellite images of Port-au-Prince is particularly telling.

    3. The combination of map, photos, and audio is a powerful one. The map gives an idea of how widespread the devastation was.

    4. I would like to see more photos, and perhaps slideshows with audio.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I found “The Destruction in Port-au-Prince” to be the most informative interactive feature. The facts which they included with the visuals were very informative, and the visuals themselves were very effective in showing the devastation brought about by this natural disaster.
    2. The “After the Haiti Quake” map seems to be the best use of multimedia, because I like how it combined the use of visual plus audio.
    3. I like how this feature includes diversity. Viewers are able to get a sense of how this devastation has affected a number of people in a number of different locations throughout Haiti. The map is easy to follow and navigate.
    4. I definitely think some video along with the photos and audio would have made this interactive map stronger. Actually hearing some of the victims’ stories and points-of-view would have been a great added feature.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. I found "After the Haiti Quake" informative because it allows someone like myself who doesn't know a lot about Haiti to get a sense of the place. The photographs and text depict devastation caused by the earthquake in hospitals, cathedrals, schools and other places across Haiti communicating the scale of the disaster in Haiti.
    2. "After the Haiti Quake" makes the best use of multimedia.
    3. The map allows us to view devastation in different parts of Haiti, and there are some powerful pictures in this feature. In addition, the use of audio and text helps convey what has happened in these places.
    4. I would have liked more audio and even video in this feature. I would also like to see and hear more Haitians directly affected by the devastation in these places.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. The photos are the most informative by far. The map, as it is, appears sterile. Viewing the photographs hits home the human element of this disaster. Seeing these photos spread out over a larger geographic area give the reader/user a better idea of how major this event really was-- news coverage that I've seen has been mostly of Port-au-Prince-- seeing photos of destruction and refugees in other towns is very powerful.

    2. The best use of multimedia would have to be the interactive map where you can see the "before" and "after" shots of the damage.

    3. It allows the user to click through for comparisons... which can be more communicative than just images sometimes. Sometimes, I think photos of disaster or trauma seem unreal to those who witness them from the outside-- as they have no point of comparison. Seeing what Haiti looked like before the earthquake is necessary to a fuller understanding of what really happened there. I also like how they have small text boxes and additional photos to clarify some of the larger photos.

    4. Sometimes it was hard to see what you were looking at-- I could have used more textual clarification...maybe some audio or video of people who were residing in one of the tent cities could comment on their living conditions or the state of things on the ground. As interesting as it is to see wider shots, they probably could have combined this feature with the other one featured on the bottom of the page, "A Closer Look at the Destruction of Haiti."

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. Which feature is the most informative?
    The most informative feature is the before and after maps...there are plenty of photos covering the disaster but seeing the actual destruction is an entirely different experience. It creates a jarring visual effect that normal photos and words can't really master.

    2. Which feature makes the best use of multimedia? I'd say the before and after map as well, but the photos of the different spots on the interactive map are also compelling to see. It's a well-organized interactive piece.

    3. What are some of the strengths of the feature that is your answer to question 2? The links, photos, and audio are all well-linked to the sites in which they come from. People who were previously unfamiliar with the geography of Haiti would now be more familiar after using these features.


    4. What are some of the weaknesses of the feature that is your answer to question 2? I think the feature could include video as well and not have video as a separate feature. It would make the piece even stronger, even more real.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I thought the video entitled Haiti Quake Day 3: Death is the Streets was the most informative feature because it was one of the few features (along with a few photos,) to actually show how the devastation of the earthquake affected the people of Haiti rather than just the landscape and buildings.


    2. Which feature makes the best use of multimedia? I thought the main interactive map made the best use of multimedia because it combined audio and photos, pinpointed on their actual geographic locations which allows the viewers to comprehend the bigger picture with some closer details of the destruction caused in Haiti.

    3. What are some of the strengths of the feature that is your answer to question 2? The photos definitely are the strengths on the main After the Haiti Quake interactive map because they give faces to the destruction while the general function of the map shows the geographic locations of the destruction.

    4. I think the most obvious weakness of the interactive map is that it contains no video. If NYT added the Haiti Quake Day 3: Death is the Streets video to the map, the feature would've felt a bit more complete.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. I think, by far, the most informative an eye-opening piece from the NYTimes coverage was "Death in the Streets." While rudimentary and simple, this piece gave a human element to a major disaster.

    2. Not to jump on the bandwagon, but it's unavoidable. The interactive "After the Haiti Quake" map was the most impressive use of multimedia on this site.

    3. It's strengths lie in the thoroughness of this map and the way it puts the country in perspective for those less familiar with Haiti. It combines audio, text and images in a creative and useful graphic.

    4. However, it lacks video and a suitable amount of audio. I think the NYTimes could also have included audio filings from their reporters or photographers on the ground (at least in the first few days of coverage) as a sort of reporter's audio journal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. I think the "Closer Look at the Destruction in Haiti" is the most informative. Although I like the before and after google earth tool, I think the pictures detailing more personal destruction, up close, is more effective. The pictures evoke more of an emotional element to the tragedy in Haiti.
    2. I think that the before and after map maps the best use of multimedia. As posters have already said, it is effective in communicating the widespread destruction in Haiti. It also helps people with limited, or no prior knowledge, of Haiti understand the magnitude of the damage.
    3. Some of the strengths of the interactive map are the ease with which a user can click on the map and change from the before to the after. Also, by scrolling over the map slowly a user can see the gradual change piece by piece. It is effective in gaining a broad understanding of the damage in Haiti.
    4. Some of the weakenesses of the interactive map are that it lacks video and it also lacks more detailed maps. It would have been more effective if smaller areas were included with before and after maps --not just Google Earth maps, but potentially maps of houses before and after the earthquake. It also would have been beneficial for there to be video. Although still photographs are informative, video can strengthen the effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete